Monday, November 19, 2007

Whoot I got my driver's license!

I have to tell everyone about this. Finally, after my second try I got my driver's license today.

I was more confident the first time I tried but unfortunately the old lady at DMV office failed me for two reasons: One she said I was erratic on stopping and taking off. Two I failed backing-up straight line I went over the next lane I wanted to argue but I know it will be an excercise in futility. On a happy note my three point turn was perfect. I've known friends who failed that part . I practiced backing up for over a week still I felt like I won't be able to pass another road test.

My husband psyched me up. He kept telling me don't sweat it, if you fail take again and again till I make it. So off we went to the DMV office. My biggest fear is to be paired with an official who is scrutinizingly strict like the old lady I was with last time. My husband gave me some last minute instructions. The only thing I could do was pray that the Lord will lead me to the right DMV personnel, wisdom, and protection.

Once inside the office this middle aged bubbly lady served me with much enthusiam, and courtesy. I was a nervous wrecked but I don't want to give the official that impression. The lady gave me the biggest moral boost by just being herself jovial, bubbly and warm. When I cranked up the car eased our way out to the main street my fear are all gone. I was natural. She told me to go straight and make a right turn at the stop light and she started complementing me that I was cautious of the speed limit, giving signal, looking over the shoulder, etc etc . I was instructed to make a 3 pt. turn and backing-up straight this time she started writing on her score sheet (I couldn't see it) I was on the verge of breaking down again but my good sense won over that. After 5 mins of driving around town she told me to head back to the office. Up to that time I had no idea if I nailed it.

When we got out of the car she asked me if I have money and I said my husband has the money she laughed. By then my husband said I guess that means a celebration. It was only then that I knew I passed it. After four months of incessant yakking and sassing from my husband about my driving I finally made it. I am now a legal driver even if hubby will suffer another over $1000 additional expenses for my insurance.

It was a big achievement for someone like me who have not even tried driving back home. Credit should go to my driving teacher my ever dearest husband. Thank you for the little patience, for all the tears I shed while you said I was stubborn for not listening to you, thank you for the two times we stopped talking for an hour because I was pissed off at you, thank you for making me feel like an idiot because I made so many wrong moves, thank you for the time I passed the written test but I forgot my glasses and we have to drive back home 20 mins both ways and you didn't say a word, thank you for you all the arguments we had over my driving (we never fought about something even for once till he started teaching me to drive). It all paid off. So where's the celebration, my dear you owe me bigtime? For that I want Hooters chicken wings and shrimp.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!!! Congrats!!!

LORD MANILA STONE said...

wow, i think that will somehow cover up for the frustration you had looking for a job there, congrats and you deserve a treat, just in time for the thanksgiving holiday, or am i late?

Allen's Darling said...

WOW congratz glen....hay naku ganyan pala kahirap heheheh nerbyos n tuloy ako.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Got here through Cookie's blog.

Congrats! This post reminded me when I first got my license :) Happy & Safe driving!

Wenchie said...

Hi, congrats...I bet you're so excited to drive now...Next time you get back in Manila, all your driving lessons will fly out of the window, he he...you know how Pinoy drivers are...

Jazevox said...

same here, learning how to drive had been a great challenge for me since i never drove before, and havin my hubby as the drive instructor had been fun but stressful at the same time coz i was sometimes stubborn enough to listen to the pro one! :-)